Fresh Mommy

Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Oh, My Aching Toe

I was thinking of calling this post, "A Pity Party for Me" because I'm feeling sorry for myself right now. You see, I broke my toe last week. Not my big toe. No, not my little toe. My ring finger toe. You know, the toe I would wear my wedding ring on if I wore my wedding ring on my foot. My right foot, not my left foot. The fourth toe. On my right foot. It's broken, people. The fourth toe on my right foot is broken.

I blame the whole thing on my cats because I was rushing around, trying to get to the grocery store because, somehow, we were out of milk. And vegetables. And fruit. And eggs. (Actually I bought two dozen eggs at the store only to come home and find another dozen hiding in the fridge. Egg salad, anyone? My husband says it smells like a big fart, but I enjoy a good egg salad sandwich.) Anyway, I was rushing around, and there they were: yammering for food and water and God knows what else. So I have to run down to the laundry room because that's where we banished their food to (because a certain adorable baby girl was eating the cat food) and that's when I walked (ran?) into the loveseat that is crammed into one side of the downstairs along with a gazillion boxes and books and everything else that's there (don't judge me -- we haven't quite gotten around to organizing down there yet).

So it's broken. I know this for a fact because I researched the symptoms and treatment of a broken toe online (because I don't have a doctor up here yet and it didn't seem like good enough reason to go to the emergency room. Can you imagine? People with gunshot wounds and me going, here, look at my toe. No, not that one, the ring finger toe.) Symptoms: The toe hurts -- check. The toe is swollen -- check. The toe is black and blue -- check. Treatment: oh, there is no treatment. You just have to suffer people, just suffer. That's what they should say on webmd and ehealth and all those other sites. You have to live with it. Oh, and they also say something about icing and elevating. Sure, when K-Baby stops running around the house like a banshee (what's a banshee exactly?), I'll do just that.

But I did do this -- when K-Baby napped, I let myself sit on the sofa (maybe recline is a more accurate word) with my feet up and an ice pack wrapped around the aforementioned toe. And since I was already there, I flipped on the TV. And watched "Law & Order" reruns on TNT in the middle of the day (I prefer Carey Lowell to Angie Harmon). One day, she took a three hour nap. Man, it was great!

And then -- oh wait. I gotta go. K-Baby's napping and "Law & Order" just came on.

2 Comments:

Blogger Momma Piñata said...

Sorry to hear about your broken toe. Doesn't suck that they don't do a single thing for a broken toe?

And don't you love daytime tv? The reruns are the best part!@

2:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel your pain. I just broke my "ring finger" toe too. I didn't get the bruising, or swelling (no visual bruising probably because I'm black and I probably just can't tell). It hurts like hell, but there's not much that can be done. They did take me off for a few days from work, so that's pretty cool.
On another note, check out Law and Order Criminal Intent. The male cop is a walking encyclopedia.

P.S- Thoroughly enjoyed your blog entry :-)

10:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home