Fresh Mommy

Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Is it Safe?

This is me, at least once a week:

Me: sniff
sniff
sniff
sniff
sniff
sniff

My nose is this close to the raw, defrosted, lump of pork that was taken from the freezer this morning and left out to thaw. Sniff.
Is it still good? Sniff.
Is it safe to eat? Sniff.
Has it gone bad? Sniff.
What does "good" raw pork smell like anyway? Sniff.
Its odor is not entirely offensive -- does that mean it's still good? Sniff.

Is it okay to make this? Because that's all I've got. Shit. What if we all get sick and spend the night barfing? Sniff. What if we all end up with trichonosis or whatever it's called. Sniff. I think it's okay. If it was bad, I'd know it, right? It would be obvious, wouldn't it? Sniff.

Fuck it. It's all we've got. Now where's the Shake n Bake?



Please tell me I'm not the only one out there doing the questionable meat dance.

6 Comments:

Blogger Mrs. Chicky said...

Heh, I do that with lunch meats and leftovers. Sometimes with milk. I leave the meat sniffing thing to my husband. He's more brave than I am.

7:01 PM  
Blogger chichimama said...

My husband insists that I throw out tons of perfectly good meat because I am obsessed with whether it is safe or not.

My dance is usually done with chicken. "Does it smell? Chicken usually smells a little, righ?" "hmm, what's the worst that could happen..."

7:22 AM  
Blogger KellyF said...

We do it too! And I think the Shake and Bake will kill off anything questionable! :)

9:36 AM  
Blogger MrsWndr said...

Yer so not alone! I am super picky about freshness. I throw milk out the day after the expiration date. I know in my head it's still good, but if I drink it I can totally tell the difference...how sad is that?

8:01 AM  
Anonymous Kristen said...

I do the sniff too. I also do the hand test- I feel the meat and realize it's barely cold anymore because it has, in fact, defrosted, and I forgot to move it into the fridge.

6:14 PM  
Blogger MommyWithAttitude said...

If it's been in the freezer, I don't even give it a second thought! It's a wonder we're not dead...

3:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home